Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

A day of skiing in Chamonix, France

Today we went with a few friends to the ski area of Chamonix which faces Mont Blanc, the tallest mountain in Europe (approximately 15,000 feet). Chamonix is only an hour drive from Geneva, so its a great day trip. Skiing here was a really fun experience, the weather in our area has been absolutely gorgeous and warm the past few weeks which means no snow (which is a big change from the super rainy November/December we had). Although the snow was a bit slushy, you really can't beat skiing in 55 degree weather with these stunning blue skies and views in my mind! I am looking forward to exploring more of the ski areas in the Chamonix/Mont Blanc area this coming winter, there are apparently many to choose from.

One strange observation I had though is that as we were skiing and looking across at Mont Blanc, after all of the "hype" it receives for being Europe's tallest mountain, it didn't seem all that high to me.... I actually asked Ryan at one point whether it was possible that I was just getting de-sensitized with all of these amazing views (horrible, I know!). So after we got home tonight I started researching this odd observation.  I found that this was because we were in fact skiing at already around 9,000 feet and therefore the additional 6,000 feet didn't seem that much farther up. Oops, I guess that should count as one of my blonde moments of the week. The good news is that after my educational googling session, I REALLY want to come back and check out this whole area more extensively in the summer, it is covered in a permanent glacier so in the summer you can walk onto the glacier and walk through "glacier" tunnels and check out the fantabulous views (and yes I just made up that word), how cool! 

Lunch on the terrace of the ski restaurant mid-mountain

Cheers to new friends and a gorgeous day of skiing! (Mont Blanc is behind us 
The view from the top of the Chamonix ski area, you can see where the snow begins and ends in the valley below

Cheesy mountain top picture :)
More views...
All day the very top of Mont Blanc had this "halo" of a tiny cloud around it
Breaking in the afternoon for crepes and a drink on the summit
Clearly this is a google image, but this is the glacier that I want to come visit in the summer!
Again another google picture and again another item on our summer must-do list, you can ride a cable car to the very top of this mountain top and look out onto the glacier and Mont Blanc.... unreal! (Mom, this is the summit from the Rick Steeves special...)

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I'm so happy you guys are having such an exciting adventure. It's fun to think that you're just an hour from Chamonix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike and i are headed there next weekend - i need to get some lessons in though before I go anywhere need 9000 feet!!
    Looking forward to seeing you both on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete