Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

The sun returns!

As I mentioned a few posts back, Switzerland's weather was looking pretty dismal for a few months.  Dismal enough for the forecasters to start predicting that we might not have a summer AT ALL.  Apparently this summer-less summer phenomenon occurs once every 30 or so years when the Atlantic ocean doesn't warm up enough and the mountains in Switzerland continually collect moisture from surrounding areas thus making Switzerland a cold mess for an entire summer. I'm happy to report that at least for the time being, summer has returned.  The past week it was in the 70's and sunny every day and the weather was nice enough on Saturday for us to have a little picnic besides Lake Geneva.  One of the things that we miss a lot about home is having access to a grill, so we decided to improvise and bought one of the "grills in a box" from the grocery store.  We then went to the local butcher and bought some hamburgers, chicken skewers, and ribs and marched our way down to a grassy area near the lake that people often congregate in when its good weather. It took awhile to get the little grill box going, but eventually it worked and we were able to enjoy some grilled food, a greek salad, and some Swiss wine by the lake while getting a little tan.  Then Ryan took a nap in the sun while I read Game of Thrones - a perfect little Saturday outing!

As a side note, one of our amusing European observations as the weather gets warmer is that it seems Europeans don't like shorts or sundresses even when the weather is warm. I break out my simple sundress and I feel a little risqué, I guess they just save these kinds of things for real beach destinations. Oh well, me and my sundresses will truck on because they make me happy that summer is here :)




No comments:

Post a Comment